- 1 C. All-Purpose Flour (sift it, level it, do whatever you feel like. Some people think it makes a difference; in this recipe, we don't. If it's too thick, add milk. If it's too thin, add flour. Pancakes are forgiving).
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Tb sugar (regular refined is fine, we really prefer brown sugar though).
- 1 C. Milk
- 2 Tb melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (or almond extract, lemon extract, orange extract, etc. Have some fun with this).
- Cooking oil (Canola is great, but we also like rice bran oil and grape seed oil on the griddle)
Mmmm.....pancakes. Who doesn't love pancakes? Plate-sized or silver dollar, light and fluffy or dense and chewy, the perfect pancake means different things to different people, but one thing we agree on at Little Griddle is that all pancakes taste better from a griddle, and especially when enjoyed outdoors. With a holiday weekend almost upon us, we decided that it was time to present this classic breakfast dish. There are many, many great pancake recipes! There are recipes with traditional proportions, recipes with an extra egg, and gluten-free blender pancakes with ground rice. Thin it out and you have crepes; make buckwheat pancakes and you are fortified for the day. All are equally wonderful on a stainless steel Little Griddle brand outdoor griddle. Regardless of recipe, perhaps the best part of pancakes on the griddle is that you can make them as large or as small as you like, because they are not crowded together as they would be in a pan. If you want to make one enormous pancake, pour butter and syrup in the middle, roll it up and cut it into pinwheels - well, you can do that on a griddle. If you like a favorite pancake mix, by all means rip off the top, follow the directions, and have at it. If you want to try something from scratch, here is a basic starter recipe that we really like: Ingredients: